1 November 2013

Spotlight On...Emma Garner


This week we talk to Emma Garner who creates quirky, beautiful jewellery and prints!


When did you decide you wanted to create for a living?

I didn't know anyone in the creative industries when I was
growing up so I didn't realise that it was possible to follow a
career in Art until I got to about 14 years old. It must have
been when we were choosing our GCSE subjects that i
realised I that I wanted a career in Art. I'd always loved
doodling and everyone around me told me I had a talent for
sketching/painting. It was just the most natural thing for me
to follow this path.


How did you get into it?

I began by studying Graphic Design but soon realised that it
was painting and drawing that I loved the most, though I am
obsessed with typography! I began approaching greeting
card publishers with my portfolio and started to receive
commissions. This led onto book illustration and for a while I
worked as an illustrator. Gradually I began selling my prints
and jewellery to the public and then started selling online.














What inspires your work?

I get very inspired by colour. If I see a certain colour
combination when I'm out and about, for example, I will
make a note of it and it may well resurface in a piece of
jewellery or a card/print design. Inspiration can come from
anywhere really…leafing through a magazine, reading a
book, a stroll in the park or through town, and of course ­
Pinterest!


What are the benefits/disadvantages of being a
designer/maker?

The biggest disadvantage for anyone who is self employed
is that there can be lean times when things go a bit quiet.
But this is more than made up for by the sheer enjoyment
that comes from creating for a living. I really feel that if  i
didn't have an outlet for my creativity then my life would
seem incomplete.


Do you have any advice for aspiring designers?

Keep an eye on trends and fashions, but never become a
slave to them. Try not to pay too close attention to them.
Always aim to stay true to your own sense of style and
eventually you will be noticed for all the right reasons.

Objets De Désir xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment