14 February 2014

Spotlight on ... Gaby Gassner


 This week we talk to Gaby Gassner!


When did you decide you wanted to create?

As a little girl enjoyed drawing and making things.  When I was 10 wanted to be a painter later I decided photography was my thing.  I ended up as photographic printer in B&W in my first career and work with some great photographers such as Bailey, Sean Ellis and Julian Broad and on some amazing projects.

How did you get into it? 

The photographic industry switched to digital and I moved onto producing photographic shoots but I missed being creative so when a favourite vintage necklace broke I set about mending it and before I knew it I was hooked buying beads by the hundreds to make my own designs.  Eventually I took the plunge and set up Gaby Gassner Jewellery.
handmade, handcrafted designer earrings

What inspires your work?

I’m into art, photography, design, history and fashion and I have quite an inquisitive mind.  I’m forever looking and trying to work out how something is made and all these elements feed into the final designs.

What is it that makes you work in that medium?

I design and make beaded jewellery and I love the fact my jewellery develops through hands-on approach by playing with different ideas until I hit on something that works for me. 
handmade, handcrafted designer bracelets | Objets de Désir
Are there any other mediums you like to work with?

There are few other skills that I would love to learn, once mastered I would like to incorporate into my work but for the moment I’m just toying with ideas and haven’t settle on anything….possible something to watch.

Describe your products and what makes them unique?

My designs are modern with a feminine sensibility.  I would say the women who choose my designs want something that is a bit different.

handmade, handcrafted designer necklace | Objets de Désir

Do you have any advice for aspiring designers? 

Be persistent with your work, have a good network of people around you that you can bounce your ideas off and get out there set up an Etsy or Folksy shop or join somewhere like Objets de Désir do fairs find out what works and do more of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment