15 November 2013

Spotlight On...Leyla Cemal

This week we talk to Leyla Cemal, a jewellery designer with a penchant for geometric designs. 
 

Hi Leyla! How long have you been making jewellery for? 
I've been making jewellery since I was a child but I started my jewellery business about a year and a half ago. 

When did you decide you wanted to create for a living? 
I decided I wanted to take creating jewellery seriously and turn it into a business about 2 years ago. 

What inspires your work? 
I'm very inspired by astronomy, geometry and where I live in East London. 

Do you have a favourite piece? 
I love to make the "date with the night" necklace and bracelet. I smash the pyrite by hand with a hammer which is fun, then I fill the pendants by hand as well so each one is unique.


How do you keep a good work/life balance?
I try not to work too much at the weekends and make sure I'm finished with work at 6 or 7 on weekdays. 

What's the biggest challenge you've faced? 
Probably finding a way to promote my business. I'm not naturally a sales person and I'm not a big fan of social media. I don't even have a personal Facebook. So getting to grips with  things like instagram and twitter and remembering to update them has been tricky. 

What do you think of Leyla's work? Why not head to the site and get a closer look at it! (Click HERE) Or you could always pop on by to our pop-up store in Cabot Circus! We'd love to see you there. 

Objets De Désir xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment