20 September 2013

Spotlight On...Stitch Ink

This weeks spotlight is on Jenny of Stitch Ink who creates cute nature inspired work! 


Hi! Who are you and when did you decide you wanted to create for a living?
"I am Jenny MacKendrick of stitch-ink and I'm an illustrator and maker.  I did the Drawing and Applied Arts Degree at UWE many years ago.  I did get a proper job between university and starting my own business but working for yourself and making pictures and products is much more fun!"

How did you get into it?
"I started by being asked to make commissions.  I held a few exhibitions with some friends after we finished our degree and got some work through that but then I started to make things to sell at markets.  Over the years I've refined my products - it's a long journey discovering what works and what doesn't!"

What is your biggest achievement so far?
"Persistence!  I had some work in a Pictoplasma exhibition in Paris, that was pretty exciting!"


Where would you like to see your work in the future?
"I think ultimately I'd like to sell my work wholesale to some nice posh shops."

What inspires your work?
"I have a particular interest in line quality and lettering at the moment.  I take my inspiration from lots of things, it could be a line, a shape or a colour that gets me started.  I have quite a collection of kids books that are all amazing for different reasons.  I probably spend far too long gazing at the internet!"

What are the benefits/disadvantages of being a designer/maker?
"I like being able to work when I feel like it, if I'm not in the mood I can go for a walk and nobody tells me off!  It's hard sometimes though, I think it's good working from a shared studio as being at home all the time can be a bit isolating."

Do you have any advice for aspiring designers?
"Just stick with it, find out what works for you and your customers and what doesn't.  Take those discoveries as a way forward rather than a set back and who knows what could happen!"

What do you think of Jenny's work? Is there any artists off the site you'd like us to interview? 
Get in touch! 


Also exciting news...Objets De Désir are pleased to announce that we have a new pop-up store opening on the top floor of Cabot Circus Bristol! It will be open October 3rd to December 24th and to celebrate we're giving you 10% off all online orders when you use discount code: BLSEP0903ODD 


Objets De Désir xoxo 


No comments:

Post a Comment